Saturday, January 14, 2012

How do I best care for indoor bulbs?

I have tulips, hyacinth, and an amaryllis potted indoors. How do I care for them as well as possible? What are good plant foods to give them so I don't burn the bulbs? How much light should they get?

How do I best care for indoor bulbs?
I currently have amaryllis' growing inside right now. The stalk on this thing is about 3 feet long. I feed it Miracle Grow Indoor Plant food. It requires moderate light. Mine is below my sky light and it is going crazy.



I have a hyacinth also. It is potted and usually remains outside but, it has been too cold lately. I have it on a table if front of the window so it get adequate sunlight.



I have never tried growing tulips indoors. Mine are planted outside and are already sprouting.



Indoor bulbs like cooler temps (60 degrees or so) so, just a recommendation, don't place directly in front of a heater vent.



this website should help you out:

http://www.coloradogardening.com/article...
Reply:They generally do well with moderate light, which is one reason they do well indoors. Find a good bulb food that is mixed with water; mix it at one-quarter strength, and use it at each watering. The amaryllis can probably be "forced" again next year if it gets sufficient cold after it blooms; tulips and hyacinths can usually only be forced once, and then must be discarded.


No comments:

Post a Comment