Saturday, January 14, 2012

Audition help for "Music Man": I want to audition, and I have all the info, but a few questions about it....

At the audition, I am sked to singsixteen bars of a ballad and up-tempo song. Check. But one question: my ballad song has a short four-bar intro. Does that count as part of the sixteen bars? Or are the bars only counted when there are vocals? And another thing: I am interested in the roles of Amaryllis and Gracie, but mostly Amaryllis. If I don't get either one, I would like to be in the ensemble. What kind of monologue should I do? I know a slightly-comedic one, "Grandma's House", and a dramatic one, from "How I Learned to Drive". Thanks for all your help!

Audition help for "Music Man": I want to audition, and I have all the info, but a few questions about it....
Yes the 4 bars at the beginning of the song is counted into the 16. You should have the pianist play a chord that will bring your right into the singing or one measure, which the pianist most probably will do anyway, they are used to that type of stuff.



As far as the monologue, remember that comedy is harder then drama. If you choose the comedic one read it as a dramatic monologue. If you look at shows today that are comedies, like MadTV, they play comedy roles like they are being funny and it KILLS the whole thing, IMHO. What makes a comedic role funny is when you really perform the part as a serious role.


No comments:

Post a Comment